Note that while About.com would greatly appreciate it if you would register, it is not necessary to log in to leave a response. Share Your Picks
Top 10 Underrated Roller Coasters
- Thank you for naming The Comet at The Great Escape #1. I rode The Comet many times as I grew up in Upstate New York, south of Rochester, and we went to Crystal Beach, Ontario almost every summer. I was very sad when it closed but very happy that The Great Escape saved the wonderful coaster. My daughter Megan and I went to Lake George this past July just so I could take her on this great ride. It was everything I remembered about it, lots of air time, thrills, and pure enjoyment. She loved it too. Thank you for letting people know that there are amazing old coasters out there. I look forward to going back to ride this again next year. M. Sofia
- —Guest MC Sofia
- I'd like to submit Rebel Yell as an underrated coaster. Rode it last year (2012), and it was a disappointment. Rode it this year, and I don't know what they did to it, but we (my sister and I) both agree that whatever they did, they hit a home run with it! To mikew, you might want to give it another shot. I bet you change your opinion (especially if you ride it at night!).
- —Guest Wil
My underrated coasters...
- 10 roller coasters (in no particular order) that I consider to be underrated: Gemini at Cedar Point, Iron Dragon at Cedar Point, Mean Streak at Cedar Point, Loch Ness Monster at Busch Gardens Williamsburg, Wildcat at Hershey Park, Comet at Hershey Park, Viper at Six Flags Great America, Raging Bull at Six Flags Great America, American Eagle at Six Flags Great America, and Batman: The Ride at Various Different Six Flags Parks.
- —Guest Anonymous
A few greatly underrated rides
- Flight of Fear (KI) and Flight Deck (KI) both deliver exciting rides and are way overlooked. Maverick (CP) is a coaster that deserves to be on more Top 10 lists, but Raptor (CP) is the most overlooked ride at Cedar Point, such a great ride. Wild Thing (Valleyfair) and Renegade (Valleyfair) are never mentioned as much as their sibling coasters but both deliver amazing rides, and High Roller (Valleyfair) gives far more and far better airtime than the Racer...an incredibly overlooked classic out-n-back woodie. Screamin' Eagle at St. Louis is just fantastic ride packed with speed and airtime, and finally all the Batman clones! They're neglected because there are so many, but the layout is popular for a reason: it's compact and intense as hell! The original at Great America is probably the best but the rest still deliver a powerful, fun, and action-packed ride.
- —Guest skyasaurus
Scream is Meh
- I'm surprised to see Scream! as an underrated coaster as it is my 3rd least favorite coaster at Six Flags Magic Mountain (with Viper & Green Lantern being worse in my opinion). Scream could've been very good, but it suffers from a pretty bad rattle. Also, the theming of Scream is basically the ride's sign.
- —Guest XYZ
- The Screamin Eagle at Six Flags St. Louis, a former record holder, is great, not too rough, and gives plenty of air time. It is a great John Allen coaster.
- —Guest TNT
Great Escape Comet #1
- The Comet at Great Escape was my #1 ride when I rode it in 1995. Unfortunately I have not been back since to compare it to my more recent experiences. Swamp Fox and Wild One are also among my favorites. I would not include Racer or Hershey Comet because they are braked to death. I would add Cedar Point's Blue Streak and Kings Dominion's Grizzly. For steel, I agree 100% with Gemini-- Its collection of drops is far better than Magnum's. I liked Great Bear a lot, but it does die out as it climbs the hill at the end of the ride. I certainly like it better than Alpengeist.
- —Guest Jeff
What about Jack Rabbit?
- I can't believe this old woodie at Kennywood Park near Pittsburgh, PA was not included. Its wild ride through the mountainside long predates Disney's Thunder Mtn. RR.
- —Guest DBrub61086
Most underrated coasters
- 1. Flight of Fear (KI) 2. Gemini (CP) 3. Viper (SF:GAm) 4. Dominator (KD) 5. Racer (KI) 6. Maverick (CP) 7. Firehawk (KI) 8. Storm Runner (HersheyPark) 9. Possessed (DP&WK) 10. Farenheit (HersheyPark)
- —Guest Michcoasterguy
Umm Scream! ?????
- I dont see how Scream is underrated. Sure it's a good ride, but it's built in a parking lot!
- —Guest coasterfanatic
- Where is Wicked at Lagoon? It uses LSM's to launch you 110 feet in the air, straight up. You then go straight back down. After a turn you hit a zero-G roll. After banking around for close to 20 seconds you return to the station. I would take this over a few of your choices.
- —Guest SkiDaBird
- You say "Racer" at Kings Island, but forget to include that it is basically a clone of Rebel Yell from Kings Dominion? For shame... Arthur says: The User Answer feature is available so that users like you can chime in, and I'm glad you did. "For shame" seems a bit harsh, no? I've ridden Rebel Yell. While it is similar to Racer, I don't think Rebel Yell has aged nearly as well as Racer (at least the last time I visited King's Dominion, that was my experience).
- —Guest mikew
Agree on Wild One
- This was my first coaster over forty years ago when it still lived at Paragon Park at Nantasket Beach. I'll always remember the contests between my family as to who would be the first one to see the coaster as we drove out the road to the beach. This ride terrified and thrilled me as a boy and maybe its nostalgia, but I'm glad its still terrifying and thrilling a new generation. Now I got to get down to DC to ride it as an adult
- —Guest Capecodmercury
More underated Coasters
- Cyclone - Six Flags New England The Coaster - Dorney Park Twister - Knobels resort The Great White Moreys Pier, Wildwood A few Oldies but goodies. That do not get the recognition they deserve.
- —Guest Schwarj1
Under Rated Coaster
- Gemini (Cedar Point, OH) Deja Vu (6-Flags, GA) Rita: Queen of Speed (Alton Towers, UK) Lightning Racers (Hershey Park, PA) Alavanch (Blackpool, UK) Bolder Dash (Lake Compounce, CN) Gwazi (Busch Gardens, FL) Talon (Dorney Park) Silver Bullet (Knotts, LA) Backlot Stunt Coaster (Kings Dominion, VA)
- —Guest Lon Smart
Tremors at Silverwood Theme Park
- I must say, Tremors is one of the woodies in America that doesn't get much respect. Sure, it's been in the top 15 every year since 1999, but it needs a bit more recognition. After 10 seasons, the baby still runs great, and incredibly smooth for a CCI!
- —Guest Golden Eagle
The Wild One at Six Flags America
- Agree with you on that one. It's nearly 100 years old, but still rides like a charm.