After Disney died, the company opened Walt Disney World in Florida. With tens of thousands of acres, the east coast vacation resort added parks, hotels, golf courses and other diversions at a furious pace and quickly eclipsed, in sheer magnitude, the California park that inspired it. After a few false starts, Disneyland embarked on its own building spree in 2000 and is now a destination resort in its own right, albeit crammed into a much tighter footprint than its right-coast counterpart.
The original Disneyland Park shines at the center of the property. Smaller scale and more intimate than Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom (although actually boasting more attractions), there is a certain magic in the air. Maybe it has to do with Walt Disney's hands-on role in shaping the park and actually walking its grounds.
TicketsGet the info you need for deals, discounts, and ways to purchase passes at About.com's Disneyland tickets overview.
Save time and money. Check for online discounts, and get Disneyland tickets in advance of your visit.
When to GoThe general rule is avoid visiting when everyone else is at the park. If possible, try to plan your trip away from school vacations, holidays, the early summer, and weekends. For more info, go to Making the Most of your California Theme Park Vacation.
Getting to the Resort
- The two primary nearby airports are Los Angeles International (LAX) and John Wayne Airport (SNA) in Orange County. There are also smaller airports in Burbank, Long Beach, and Ontario.
- Driving Info: Disneyland is located off I-5. The actual address is 1313 S. Disneyland Drive.
From I-5 South: Exit Disneyland Drive, turn left (south), and follow signs.
From I-5 North: Exit on Katella Avenue, turn left (west), proceed for 1.5 miles to Disneyland Drive, turn right (north), and follow signs.
From LAX Airport: I-105E to I-605 N to I-5S/SANTA ANA FWY. Follow directions above.
From John Wayne Airport: I-405N towards LONG BEACH to CA-55N/COSTA MESA FWY towards NEWPORT BEACH/ RIVERSIDE. Take I-5N towards LOS ANGELES. Follow directions above.
- Compare rates for Disney's Grand Californian Hotel at Expedia.
- Compare rates for the Disneyland Hotel at Expedia.
- Compare rates for Disney's Paradise Pier Hotel at Expedia.
- Compare rates for Disneyland-area hotels at TripAdvisor.
The Theme ParksDisneyland Park
New at Disneyland
New for 2014:
- Big Thunder Mountain Railroad makeover
The classic coaster reopens with new scenes, new trains, and a new track, as well as interactive elements that will make waiting in line more tolerable.
New for 2013:
- New Fantasyland Theatre show, Fantasy Faire, and Limited Time Magic
Expect a new live show debuting in the summer at the Fantasyland Theatre in Disneyland. Meet and greet Disney princesses at the new Fantasy Faire opening in the spring. Read about the special events the two parks will be hosting throughout 2013, known as Limited Time Magic.
See the ResortExplore the parks in original About.com videos of Disneyland Resort. Topics include the best rides, the best restaurants, and the holidays.
Rides and AttractionsThe Best of Disneyland
Top picks for rides at the parks.
RestaurantsThere are plenty of places to eat throughout the resort.
- Find out where you should be eating in the Best Disneyland Dining feature
- The Top 10 Best Table-Service Restaurants at Disneyland
- Disneyland restaurant reservations
- The Top 10 Best Quick- and Counter-Service Restaurants at Disneyland
- Disneyland Character Dining
- The Top 10 Best Snacks and Desserts at Disneyland.
- Managing Ride Lines for Guests with Disabilities at Disney Parks
If you or somebody who will be visiting the parks at Disney World with you is disabled, learn about the accommodations that the resort makes available and how to access them.
Holiday EventsChristmas and the Holidays at the Disneyland Resort
Info about the resort's holiday events.
Info about the resort's Halloween events.
Other Things to Do
- In addition to restaurants, the always-hopping Downtown Disney offers shopping, snacks, nightclubs, and a movie theater.
- The House of Blues concert venue presents an ongoing live music series.
- Looking Back at Disneyland- Reminiscing during Disneyland's 50th anniversary
- Disneyland's History Photo Gallery