The park takes its name from the original Luna Park, which operated at Coney Island from 1903 to 1946. While the 21st-century Luna Park has echoes of its famous predecessor, including the whimsical crescent moons and bright orange discs that grace its main entrance, it doesn't aspire to the ornate architecture, with its grand "Court of Honor," or the ambitious attractions that characterized the first park.
As its centerpiece, Luna Park features the Astro Tower. The landmark, however, no longer includes the observation deck that once took passengers up and down its tower. Luna Park is flanked on one side by The Cyclone, but the iconic roller coaster is operated independently.
In 2011, the company that operates Luna Park is planning to open the Scream Zone, which will bring a slingshot tower ride, go-karts, and two custom roller coasters to Coney Island.
Location and Phone:
Tickets and Admission Policy:
Subway: D, F, N, or Q train to Stilwell Ave., the end of the line.
Driving: Belt Parkway to Exit 6. South on Cropsey Ave. toward Coney Island. Cropsey becomes W 17th St. Left onto Surf Ave. to Coney Island's amusement area.
Parking: There are meters on the streets and parking lots in the area. On busy weekends, if everything appears to be full, you could drive about a mile away to Brighton Beach, which has a large parking lot, and walk the boardwalk back to Coney Island.
Rides and Highlights:
- Air Race- Riders pilot their own planes around a "control tower" in this spinning ride. Air Race made its world debut at Luna Park.
- Electro Spin- A Disk'O, which is a combination spinning ride and coaster. Riders sit facing outward on a spinning platform that travels back and forth along a u-shaped track.
- Eclipse- A pendulum ride that swings riders back on a forth on a spinning platform.
- Lunar Express- A small family roller coaster.
Halloween Event at Luna Park:
More Coney Island Info:
- Coney Island Overview
- Scream Zone at Coney Island
- The Cyclone at Coney Island Roller Coaster Ride Review
- Coney Island Photo Gallery
- Wonder Wheel at Coney Island Ride Review
- Spook-A-Rama at Coney Island Ride Review