The Voyage Rider-Reaction Video
The Voyage Onboard Point-of-View Video
The Voyage Off-Ride Video
After weeks of dropping coy hints about the big plans they have in store for 2006--its 60th anniversary season--the folks at Indiana's Holiday World have finally come clean. The park will be adding a new Thanksgiving section...and ride fans will have much to be thankful for, including a record-setting new wood coaster to be called The Voyage. I have two video renderings of the wild coaster.
An onboard Voyage video shows what the ride will look like from the perspective of a passenger in the front car. The off-ride Voyage video shows what the out-and-back coaster will look like from the vantage of a helicopter hovering above the train. Both videos offer a great sense of the incredibly long, steep, airtime-filled ride.
Here are some of The Voyage's features:
- Holiday World claims it will deliver 24.2 seconds of airtime, making it the world's top airtime woodie.
- Three successive drops of 154, 107, and 100 feet.
- The first drop will be an extremely steep 66 degrees--another world record.
- Top speed of 67.4 mph.
- Ride time will be 2 minutes, 45 seconds.
- Track length will be 1.2 miles.
- Its extreme length and speed will place it among the world's top three fastest and longest woodies.
- Eight underground dives into five tunnels (yet another world record).
- The ride will include two 90-degree banked turns.
Whew, what a coaster! But wait, there's more. Holiday World will also be debuting an interactive dark ride in which passengers will rack up points by bagging turkeys, a new tilt-a-whirl, and a new restaurant (chances are turkey, cranberry sauce, and pumpkin pie will find their way onto the menu). Holiday World's Splashin' Safari water park will also continue its expansion with Bahari River, an action river ride.
The industry gave its highest honors, the Applause Award, to Holiday World (and deservedly so) at the 2004 convention of the International Association of Amusement Parks and Attractions (IAAPA)--and that was before the park made any announcements about The Voyage or its other 2006 plans. A family-owned and -operated park that continues to thrive in an era of large corporate chains, Holiday World is quickly transforming from the little park that could into a major theme park in its own right.
The Voyage Preview Photo Gallery
Holiday World Overview
Holiday World's The Raven Coaster Review
Holiday World's The Legend Coaster Review
What's New at Theme Parks for 2006?