1. Travel
Arthur Levine

The REAL Wally World

By October 10, 2003

In the first (and by far, the best) "National Lampoon's Vacation" film, bumbling Chevy Chase and his doofus family travel across the country to revel at the mythical theme park, Wally World. Six Flags Magic Mountain served as the stand-in for the non-existent theme park, but did you know that there is a real Wally World? Or, I should say WAS a real Wally World. The London amusement and water park closed and recently auctioned its rides and equipment. There's been no word on who submitted the top bid for Christie Brinkley's red Ferrari.
Six Flags Magic Mountain
California theme parks
Comments
November 24, 2006 at 12:17 pm
(1) Jeff says:

Actually, there is a small place called Wally World in southeast Indiana. It’s got bumper cars, go-cart racing, batting cages, etc. It might have been named after the movie, though, I’m not sure.

May 27, 2007 at 10:23 am
(2) Pillow says:

Where is the real Walley World? Let me know. Hope it is not Wal-Mart.

May 27, 2007 at 10:26 am
(3) Pillow Pillow says:

Again, Where is the real Walley World? Let me know. Was wondering. I hope it is not reall Wal-Mart. Please write me back and let me know. my address is softhead100@yahoo.com. I eanjoy hearing from you soon. Take care
Pillow Pillow.

February 22, 2008 at 8:23 am
(4) claire malone says:

pillow you leave chevvy out of it he’s my dad and i live at wally world you freak pillow hugger…………..

April 11, 2008 at 11:38 pm
(5) Samantha says:

Jeff is right i live really closed to it its a pretty nice place and it really is called wally world its close to brookville,liberty indiana it might be in liberty but im not positive

January 17, 2009 at 8:47 am
(6) Amy says:

Yes, it is actually called “Markers Wally World” which was started before the movie came out. It is located in Liberty, IN. next to the Whitewater State Park. Hours vary throught the spring to fall. I am the expert because my family owns it! Phone number and address available upon request.

June 6, 2009 at 1:30 pm
(7) Chinese?s friend says:

??????????after saw the film . i wonder to know what is Walley world .if you know about ??

June 6, 2009 at 2:51 pm
(8) themeparks says:

Thanks for writing. The Wally World in the movie is fictional. The movie was filmed at Six Flags Magic Mountain in Valencia, CA.

-Arthur

July 3, 2009 at 9:16 am
(9) Shaw says:

I’ve tried to pull it up on the internet with no luck. I use to go there as a kid. Does anyone have the actual phone number to Markers Wally World?

July 25, 2009 at 9:54 am
(10) heath says:

765-458-7229

May 17, 2010 at 2:54 am
(11) wallaite says:

During the 1980′s, after the National Lampoon movie came out, Wally World became a sarcastic nickname for Walla Walla, Washington, primarily by the locals. I lived there from 1981-1991, and I can remember T-shirts with the words Wally World emblazoned upon them being sold at various gift shops around town. At the time, Walla Walla was primarily known for 3 things: its 3 colleges, the state’s maximum security prison, and its famous agricultural products (million dollar wheat fields and even more million dollar Walla Walla Sweet Onions). It was a pretty sleepy town back then, and people would drive through to buy gas, see the shirts, and get really excited, thinking there was an amusement park nearby. No dice. Now the area is wine country, and I suspect the newer landowners do not appreciate the Wally World connection, as one never sees the shirts around town anymore.

June 17, 2010 at 4:28 pm
(12) zack says:

i thought it was walmart at first ha ha ha

April 6, 2011 at 8:37 pm
(13) lynn says:

i heard someone the other day,while i was in walmart. It was funny hearing this guy. “Had enough of Wally World today. Let’s go! Ever since then,i been using the word, ”Wally World”

April 6, 2011 at 8:41 pm
(14) Deb says:

The other day,while i was in Walmart, i heard someone yelling out ”Let’s leave Wally World had enough today. I thought that was so funny,as other people were looking everywhere. Ever since then,i call it Wally World.

May 27, 2011 at 8:58 am
(15) the REAL Wally World says:

There is actually a REAL Wally World, and it’s a campground / resort located just outside of Loudinville Ohio in the Mohican valley next to the Mohican river. It doesn’t have all the amusement rides, but it’s a great place to go camping!

June 9, 2011 at 11:54 pm
(16) Armybrat says:

I’ve called both Wal-Mart and Walla Walla, Washington Walley World. Coincidentally, my last name is Walley and both me and my dad and one of my little brothers were all born in Walla Walla. When I was little Wal-mart was my favorite store too :P

March 23, 2012 at 12:44 am
(17) VEE says:

I want the wallys world in Indiana address because I plan to go.

June 10, 2012 at 12:31 am
(18) Sean says:

@VEE: The websites of both of the midwest Wally Worlds (family-owned Indiana and unrelated corporate-owned Ohio), are available with a web search. Here are the addresses, phone numbers, and name source:

Marker’s Wally World
1212 South State Road 101, Liberty, IN
(765) 458-7229
wallyworld-markers.com/contact_us

Marker’s Wally World is in east Indiana near Liberty, which is roughly 15 miles south of Richmond, off I-70 connecting Indianapolis and Dayton, OH. “…about 1 mile south of Liberty, IN on S. State Road 101 or about 16 miles north of Brookville, IN on S. State Road 101″.

About the name: Amy, who wrote above in 2009, says she is a member of the owning family, “Yes, it is actually called “Markers Wally World” which was started before the movie came out.” (The website reads that they are also a local power equipment dealer, which explains how they maintain the single-seat mini-cars track.)

Wally World Riverside Resort
16121 County Highway 23
Loudonville, Ohio 44842
(419) 994-2244
Toll Free 1-855-925-5955

Wally World Riverside Resort is in north Ohio near Loudonville, roughly 65 miles NE of Columbus on I-71, or roughly 65 miles SW of Cleveland on I-71; then as the crow flies, near Mansfield off I-71, it’s about 20 miles SE to Loudonville. Be sure to get the exact driving directions from their website, because they warn that several computer-mapped alternate routes in the area are gravel and 4-wheel drive only.

About the name: Their “Our Story” web page reads, “The campground is named for the
Walhonding Railroad, which was nicknamed Wally Railroad. … The addition of World to Wally came into play, as you might have guessed, after the movie National Lampoon’s Vacation, starring Chevy Chase, came out in the 1980s …”

(I have no connection with either.)
Sean

August 14, 2012 at 6:57 pm
(19) jmd says:

The 1978 made for tv movie “Kiss Meets The Phantom Of The Park” was also filmed at Magic Mountain.

January 9, 2013 at 8:14 am
(20) Kelly Hensley says:

The real Walley World was filmed at Six Flag’s Magic Mountain in California. The big parking lot was Santa Anita Park. There is no real Walley World. It was a take from Disneyland. Noticed Roy Walley looks like Walt Disney. Martty Moose song sounds similar to Mickey Mouse Club. So if you wanna go to Walley World then go to these locations and have fun.

January 13, 2013 at 8:09 pm
(21) Megyn says:

I have wondered if they called it Wally World in the movie as a play on Walt Disney’s first name…kind of like a nickname for Walt. I also noticed Roy Wally looked like Walt Disney and the character has a line about once traveling to Florida…not sure if that was all done on purpose.

March 2, 2014 at 9:51 am
(22) alleta2012 says:

In the movie it`s WallEy World….